Sometimes after lunch I like to treat myself to a bag of candy from the store near my office. To some extent I just have a sweet tooth, but it's really the sugar that helps me get through the rest of the day. I had just finished my after-lunch snack today when my Project Manager seated his son next to me in a vacant desk. He was a cute enough kid, probably 5 or 6 years old, but I couldn't help but be glad that I had just eaten my candy before he sat down -- otherwise I may have been forced to share.
Then, appalled at my own selfishness, I thought, could I really be so insincere and selfish as to be glad that I didn't have to offer candy to a child? I took a moment, savoring the combination of sour and sweet, sugary delight still dancing on my taste buds, as I began to pontificate over my conundrum of a conscience. Yes . . . yes, I could. Besides, I'm a stranger -- he shouldn't be taking candy from me anyway. In the end, I was satisfied at having been able to teach this child one of the many important lessons of childhood.
Tuesday, August 7, 2007
Candies, and the Strangers who eat them
Posted by Duy at 8:14 PM
Labels: Boston, random thought, work
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment