Wednesday, August 1, 2007

Punctuality Difficiency Disorder

I am never on time in the mornings. Regardless of when I get up, or leave the apartment, I almost always manage to still get to work late.

In my defense, timing my mornings can get tricky. You see, my roommate functions like clockwork. He has a routine that he follows incredibly stringently, which involves leaving only a twenty minute window of bathroom use for me between 8:00am and 8:20am. I, on the other hand, function like a free spirit -- which is a euphemism for "I have no discipline." Trying to coordinate my schedule into his occasionally is the quantum equivalent of suturing a wound using a strand of spaghetti.

Aside from that, there's the public transportation system that, without fail, will deliver a late train that is jam packed full of people making me wait for the next one, even if I'm there on time. Couple that with my requirement for coffee and a small pastry for breakfast on the way in, you can almost guarantee that I'll be around 15 minutes later than I intend to get in (which is 45 minutes after the office actually opens).

Now, I know what you're thinking: Duy, maybe if you didn't waste time by doing stuff like blog in the morning before work, you might get there on time. Touche -- gotta run.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I live in Beijing and have been having the same chronic problem. The worst part is, I don't have an excuse since I live 10 to 15 minutes walk from my work place. The management spoke to me few times and have already issued 2 written warning regarding this, and yet I still cannot make it on time to work. No matter how much I run and put an on early wake up alarm. I guess what I'd just like to say is that I could relate to you. Perhaps, you don't really like what you are doing at work and you dread everyday of it. So you are psychologically putting it off. My job is very boring, so perhaps that explains it. But still no excuse for the "lack of discipline" As you aptly put it.
cheers, eunice